How many disk partitions do you need ? A question many has asked me. There is no fixed number. It all depends on your need. So I thought of writing this post, how many disk partitions we may need.
However before we discuss in detail, it will be good if we know the advantages and disadvantages of Hard Disk partitioning.
If you have read it…..lets discuss more.
As you know now, that disk partitioning is an act of dividing the hard disk in to multiple logical storage units which are referred to as Partitions. Its like treating a single hard disk as if it were multiple disks.
Now you may ask how many disk partitions do I need ? that’s a good question. Before you proceed to cut your hard disk in to slices (Partitions). Think clearly what are your needs. What are the type of files you normally use most and save. This is important to analyze before you proceed to actually partition the hard disk. This will help you to decide how many disk partitions you will need. More on that..read on….
If your hard disk is 500GB in size (that’s a lot of space unless you are a gamer). Write down in a piece of paper the number of Disk Partitions you will require. What size each partition should be. The number and size of Disk partitions will vary from individual to individual.
But if I am to partition my 500GB hard disk I would do this way. (This is just a guide, as to how many disk partition we may need, normally)
A GUIDE : HOW MANY DISK PARTITIONS ?
1. Primary partition 1 for the OS = Size 100GB I feel that’s sufficient for the OS and program files I might install.
2. After creating this partition, i would create extended partition for the remaining space.
3. Once done, within this extended partition, I would start making the logical partitions as per my needs as follows
1. I would allocate about 20GB for DOCUMENTS.
2. Than i would allocate 80 GB for PICTURES
3. Than another 80 GB for my collections of MP3 music files.
4. Than another 100 GB for my Movie collection
5. Than another 80 GB for my software back up. Since you never know when you need that software to re install. Back up all your system drivers, Mother board drivers (don’t rely on your optical disks ) so its a good idea to back up your drivers that comes with your new PC be copied and kept in folders inside your backup partition.
6. I usually create an extra partition and name it TRIAL or EXTRA. This is where I keep my miscellaneous items like some downloaded pictures or PSD files that I work on and when done I delete the files. Just like a extra huge dust bin or like a temporary transit point. This is optional.
That takes up about 480GB of my space and i still have around 20 GB more free space. This you can allot according to your needs, for example if you have too many video collection allocate more space. If you have too many Music or Photo collection you can allocate the space accordingly.
Well this is just an example of how many disk partitions we may require. You can have your own way of allocating and naming the partitions, or even create some more extra partitions.
WHATS THE BENEFIT ?
Remember each partition is separate and isolated from the main OS partition. So your files are safe in their own partition. Should anything go wrong with your primary partition like system crash, virus infection or doesn’t boot, and you need to format and re- install windows fresh. You can…without loosing any of files ,music ,videos, backups, they will remain unharmed within their partition.
Over and above with a dedicated partition for the operating system and programs, you can create an exact image of the entire partition and restore it back. as it was when backed up in the event of a disaster like system crash, virus infection.
After installing windows, you can proceed to partition the disk from the windows built in disk management tool. But if you need more precise control and more options, you may try this best free disk partitioning tool.
Posted by Ben Jamir
Ben Jamir is the Founder and Author of Tipsnfreeware. He is a part time Blogger, sharing his experience and giving a Helping hand to Home users. You will find here the best Windows Tips,Tricks and quality Freeware.