Infection with autorun.inf virus is very common as it spreads through USB drives like the pen drive, memory cards etc. Autorun.inf is basically a simple text file which contains a list of instructions to be followed by the operating system, for example when you insert a CD or DVD or a USB drive, the operating system looks for the autorun.inf file and executes the instructions written on it, like auto starting the CD or DVD etc. This is a windows feature.
But like all other viruses and malware makers, the hackers uses this autorun.inf features to sneak into a victims computer without the knowledge of the owner. Unlike most malicious programs which spread via compromised web pages and fake online scanners, Autorun.inf virus is transferred from movable devices like from a USB device (Pendrive, memory cards) to the PC. That is why it is important to always scan your removable devices for malicious infections and attackers on a regular basis. It is also advisable to turn off the windows Autorun feature.
How to remove Autorun.inf virus manually without using any antivirus tool but with winrar if your Computer or USB device is infected.
Simple and easy solution to Remove Autorun.inf Virus
1. First Disable the Autorun Feature of Windows for all drives.
2. Open WINRAR.EXE either from the desktop shortcut icon or from start – all programs – winrar – winrar.exe. and browse for the drive or the folder that is infected with Autorun.inf virus using the Winrar’s explorer.
3. After locating, open it within Winrar, it will show all the files including the hidden files present in that particular drive or folder.
4. Search for the file Autorun.inf file and open it with Notepad.
5. As Autorun.inf is a simple text file containing instruction, look for any .exe file entry in the text, this is the main culprit which gets executed.
6. Take a note of this .exe file name that is mentioned in the Autorun.inf text file and close it.
7. Now that you know the name of the .exe file look for this file in your drive (Example c:/) once you locate this .exe file delete it also delete the Autorun.inf file.
8. Now restart your Computer. Your system is now free from the Autorun.inf Virus.
TIP: You can use this method to remove Autorun.inf virus from your USB or Pen drives.
You may also like to read “ How to disable Windows Auto run Feature for all drives”
Was this TIP helpful ? Do you know any other method ? share with us.
Posted By: Ben Jamir